Update as of Aug 18, 2021:
CDA highly recommends scheduling an appointment or dropping off your applications and plans to help stop the spread of COVID in our community. Please check this website regularly to find updates to open hours as changes will be made according to the County’s current Public Health guidance.
To book an appointment please email the Public Works Department or call us at 530-265-1222, Option 5
The Department will continue to provide services through email, phone, and drop-off and pick-up boxes. Please allow a processing time of 24 to 48 hours from the date received.
If you have questions, please email the Public Works Department or call us at 530-265-1222, Option 5.
Online Service Request
To make a service request or learn how to make a service request please visit our Service Request page. If you still have questions or need help with the request system, please call us at 530-265-1222, Option 5.
Road Conditions and Closures
Visit the road conditions and closures page to see the current road closures, and learn more about living in snow country and snowplow operations.
About Public Works
Welcome to the Nevada County Department of Public Works. The Department of Public Works encompasses six separate divisions plus Administration.
- Administration - Permitting, Customer Service, Public Counter & Phones, Social Media posting, Division Administrative support,
- Engineering - Road Design, Bridges, Construction, Traffic, Land Use, County Surveyor Functions, - Land Use/Survey, Corner Records, Records of Survey
- Fleet - County Vehicle and Equipment maintenance
- Road Maintenance - Maintains 562 miles of public roadways along with numerous bridges and drainage facilities throughout the county, including signs, vegetation management, and storm response.
- Solid Waste - Household Waste Pickup, Recycling, McCourtney Road Transfer Station
- Transit Services - Gold Country Stage Transit Services.
- Wastewater - Wastewater Treatment and Collection Facilities, New Sewer Connections.
Administrative Staff are available to provide customer services via phone, fax, and email. Staff monitor the Public Works email address, Facebook page, NextDoor app and the "Service Request" online work order request App.
They are available to answer questions, assist with permits, and direct questions and inquiries to the appropriate person or department.
Hours of Operation:
Phones and email are manned remotely between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm and are checked on an hourly basis.
We are located at the Eric Rood Government Center at:
We can be reached via the following:
Main Phone : (530) 265-1411
Fax: (530) 265-9845
Forms of Payment
Public Works fees may be paid by check, cash (do not mail) and online for Encroachment Permits, Sewer Permits and Surveyor fees only. Encroachment Permit Applications are available for online credit card processing at the time of submission through the Citizens Access Page and other permit/surveyor fees may only be paid by credit card by accessing our online Payment Processing. Credit card payments cannot be taken over the phone or by mail at this time.
Doing Business with Public Work
For additional information on doing business with the County, including insurance requirements for contractors, payment of bills and more go to the Purchasing Department website.