Effective June 24, 2020, Due to increasing health concerns around COVID-19 in Nevada County and a recent update from the County Executive Office, the Office of the Clerk-Recorder will REMAIN CLOSED to in-person services
- We will remain available for Marriage License and Ceremony by appointment only
- All other services can be conducted by US mail
- If you have any questions, please call or email
We thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any confusion
Nevada County Recorder maintains the death records for those death that occurred in Nevada County.
Who May Receive a Copy
California Health and Safety Code Section 103526, permits only authorized persons as defined on the Online Application to receive certified copies for Identification purposes of birth and/or death records. Senate Bill 1614, Chapter 712 passed, which prohibits the display of vital records indexes on the Internet.
Those who are not authorized by law may receive a certified copy with the words "Informational, Not a Valid Document to Establish Identity’.
Order a Certified Copy of a Vital Record
There are four methods to order a copy of a vital record filed in Nevada County, California:
- Requests made in person at Nevada County Recorder’s Office must have the Application Form (PDF) completed before coming into the office. (In-person services are suspend at this time)
- Mail the completed and notarized Application Form (PDF) along with a check or money order, made payable to Nevada County Recorder:
Nevada County Recorder
950 Maidu Avenue
Nevada City, California 95959
- Order the copy using your credit card by faxing the completed and notarized Application Form (PDF)(s) to 530-265-9842. Then call 530-265-1221 to provide credit card information. Additional $2.00 credit card fee
- Order online through VitalChek.
There is an additional $7 VitalChek fee for VitalChek orders.
- Death Record $21 per certified copy
- Additional $3.00 shipping and handling (For mailed and faxed Applications)