- Departments E - L
- Campaign Services
- Voter Roll Requests
Voter Roll Requests
Purchasing Voter Registration Information
If you are interested in purchasing voter registration information for Nevada County, please note that the regulations on accessing voter information have been updated. To obtain a voter roll, please read the following carefully:
- Fill in this form and submit it by mail or in person to our office (wet signatures required; electronic applications are no longer accepted) https://www.nevadacountyca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/13688.
- Provide a photocopy of your driver's license or passport.
- Provide supporting documentation of intended use, as applicable.
- If the intended use is for a political purpose, the applicant must provide documentation establishing affiliation with a political organization.
- If the intended use is for a scholarly purpose, the applicant must provide a letter from a representative of that institution on the institution’s letterhead stating that the applicant is authorized to receive voter roll information.
- If the intended use is for a journalistic purpose, the applicant must submit a copy of their press pass, media credential, or other evidence that they are a journalist.
- If the intended use is for a governmental purpose, the applicant must provide a letter on the governmental organization's letterhead stating that the applicant is authorized to receive voter roll information.
- Provide a detailed explanation of how the requested voter information will be maintained securely and confidentially, consistent with California Code of Regulations Section 19012.
- Pay the fee (make checks payable to the Nevada County Elections Office). The fees for voter data are:
- Countywide Voter Rolls: $50
- Single District Voter Rolls: $37
- Vote by Mail and custom reports: varies
- Return the form, photocopy of your driver's license, supporting documentation, and the fee by mail or in-person.
If you have inquiries regarding voter data files, please contact our office at 530-265-1298.
The Secretary of State recently updated the regulations governing the use of voter rolls. It is your responsibility to become familiar with the regulations and to exercise due diligence when protecting voter information.
For the latest regulations on accessing voter registration information, please refer to the California Secretary of State’s website: https://www.sos.ca.gov/administration/regulations/current-regulations/elections/access-voter-registration-information.
For the Public
Information on your voter registration affidavit will be used by elections officials to send you official information on the voting process, such as the location of your polling place and the issues and candidates that will appear on the ballot.
Commercial use of voter registration information is prohibited by law and is a misdemeanor. Voter information may be provided to a candidate for office, a ballot measure committee, or other persons for election, scholarly, journalistic, political, or governmental purposes, as determined by the Secretary of State. Driver’s license and social security numbers, or your signature as shown on your voter registration card, cannot be released for these purposes.
If you have any questions about the use of voter information or wish to report suspected misuse of such information, please call the Secretary of State’s Voter Protection and Assistance Hotline at 1-800-345-8683 .
Safe At Home
Certain voters facing life-threatening situations may qualify for confidential voter status. For more information, please contact the Safe At Home program, administered by the California Secretary of State https://www.sos.ca.gov/registries/safe-home.