- Departments C - D
- Fictitious Businesses
- Filing a Fictitious Business Name Statement
Filing a Fictitious Business Name Statement
How to Apply
Applications for Fictitious Business Name Statements (PDF) are available here or at the Nevada County Recorder's Office. If submitting your form and paying fees at the office, note that we accept cash, checks or credit card with additional fee $2.00.
Complete application for Fictitious Business Name Statements (PDF) and Instructions (PDF)
Common Mistakes (PDF)
Once Application is printed, completed, and signed then mail with appropriate fees (See fee schedule) to:
Nevada County Recorder 950 Maidu Avenue Suite 210, Nevada City, CA 95959
Three Certified copies will be returned once the Fictitious Business Name Statement is filed. All new Fictitious Business Names Statements and/or ones with changes from past filing will be required to:
- Publish the Fictitious Business Names Statement in a newspaper of general circulation, once a week for four consecutive weeks, with the first publication occurring within 45 days of the filing date.
- Newspapers have cut off dates, so you will want to deliver your Fictitious Business Name Statement to the newspaper as soon as possible or call them to verify what their cutoff date is. If you do not begin publication within 45 days of the filing date, a new Fictitious Business Names Statement must be filed and published.
- The Fictitious Business Name Statement will expire 5 years from the date of filing. We send out a 60-day notice letter that your Fictitious Business Name Statement is going to expire; however, if you do not receive the notice, it is still up to you to know when to renew the Fictitious Business Name Statement.
- If you renew your Fictitious Business Name Statement prior to expiration, and all the information is the same, you will not have to publish the renewal.