Apply for a Pesticide Permit

The purpose of operator identification numbers, or Op-IDs is to enable tracking of agricultural and commercial* uses of pesticides through pesticide use reporting. Op-IDs are issued by our office to persons wanting to apply pesticides in agricultural areas (agricultural production, parks, golf courses, cemeteries, rights-of-way). Op-IDs are only issued to the property operator or his or her authorized representative.

*Commercial use is determined by the label of the pesticide. Not all pesticide manufacturers give both home use and commercial rates on their labels. If you wish to purchase and use a pesticide that only has commercial use rates, you will be required to obtain an operator ID permit from the county before you can purchase that pesticide, even if you are making the application in private, personal use situations.

Other Documentation

You must bring a copy of a signed owner authorization letter (PDF) (if applicable); and copies of clear, legible maps for each location on your Op-IDs. Maps must include company/organization name, ranch name, acreage, pesticide storage areas, section, township, and range (if known), wells, reservoirs, north arrow, and sensitive sites within a ¼ mile.

Operator Identification Number

If you are a maintenance gardener and use herbicides or any other type of pesticides, including those for rodent or ant control, you are required to become licensed by the Department of Pesticide Regulation. Licensing information is available online.

If the permit is for production agriculture, including nurseries, vineyards and timber, and you have employees, then you must also have a QAC license if performing your own pesticide applications, or a QAL if you are training employees to make pesticide applications. See our Worker Safety Page for additional information. Information about QAC and QAL licenses is available on CDPR's website.

If using a restricted material for the commercial production of an agriculture commodity, you will also be required to have a either a QAC/QAL from DPR, or a Private Applicator Certificate from our department to be eligible for a restricted material permit.

For information about, or to schedule an appointment for, obtaining a permit, please call 530-470-2690. Download an Operator Identification Number Application (PDF).