About the Nevada County Public Health Department
Prevent disease, promote and support optimal health and wellness, and protect the community against disasters.
Safe, healthy and thriving communities.
Achieving the Mission
The Public Health Department achieves this mission through an array of programs including communicable disease control, chronic disease prevention, emergency preparedness, community health education, clinical services and healthcare management.
The Public Health Department promotes the health of our entire community through varied programs ranging from control of communicable diseases and coordination of the response to health emergencies to individual case management to primary prevention of disease and wellness promotion.
The Nevada County Public Health Department is proud to share that our department was accredited in October, 2021 via the Public Health Accreditation Board's national accreditation process. According to the Public Health Accreditation Board, the mission of the voluntary national accreditation program is to improve and protect the health of the public by advancing and ultimately transforming the quality and performance of the nation’s state, Tribal, local, and territorial public health departments. This process focuses on the following:
- Promotes high performance and continuous quality improvement;
- Recognizes high performers that meet nationally accepted standards of quality and improvement;
- Illustrates health department accountability to the public and policymakers;
- Increases the visibility and public awareness of governmental public health, leading to greater public trust and increased health department credibility, and ultimately a stronger constituency for public health funding and infrastructure; and
- Clarifies the public’s expectations of health departments.
NCPHD will seek reaccreditation in 2026.
Community Health Assessments (CHA) & Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP)
NCPH has began the 2023 Community Health Improvement Project, which is used to create the CHA & CHIP, please see our website.
Nevada County Public Health's Previous CHA/CHIP Documents:
The 2016 Health Status Report (PDF) contains health status indicators compiled from a variety of sources to help give a picture of the health of Nevada County residents. When possible, we try to provide a comparison to the California state average as well as to the Healthy People 2030 National Objectives.
This 2019 Annual Report (PDF) will give you a sense of what the Nevada County Public Health Department has accomplished over the past year and what we intend to address in the coming year.