Codes Enforced

What codes does Code Compliance enforce?

  • The Code Compliance Division enforces regulations to the following:
  • Condition of existing structures that constitute a clear and present danger to the public.
  • Building Code violations (building, electric, plumbing, mechanical, access, etc) including construction without permits.
  • California State Housing Law (minimum standards for safe and sanitary housing).
  • Illegal solid waste.
  • Zoning requirements for structures such as use, location, configuration, size, and land use requirements.
  • Abandoned Vehicles.

Click here to download a Code Compliance Complaint Form or fill out our online form.

Consider another option: Mediation

Looking for another option? Before submitting a Code Compliance complaint, have you considered mediation? Sometimes issues can be resolved between neighbors without a Code Officer’s official involvement.  The Conflict Resolution Center (CRC), is a non-profit provider of mediation and counseling, working with residents, businesses, and organizations of Nevada County to find common ground.  You can access more information by visiting

Who enforces brush, weeds, and hazardous vegetation?

Complaints in unincorporated Nevada County need to be filed with the Office of Emergency Services' Defensible Space Division. Complaints in incorporated Nevada County need to be communicated with their respective Fire Department or District (Nevada City Fire Department, Grass Valley Fire Department, Truckee Fire Department). You can obtain a list of Fire Districts serving Nevada County here.

How to report illegal dumping of trash on roadways?

Call the illegal dumping hotline at (530) 265-7111 or report online at Report a solid waste concern. Illegal Dumping requests pertain only to County Maintained Roads. Services are not provided for private roads or private property.

Are abandoned/inoperative vehicles on my property a violation?

Vehicles on private property that are abandoned, inoperative, wrecked, or dismantled may be a violation of the Land Use and Development Code of Nevada County. In response to written complaints, a Code Officer will visit the property in question and determine if the vehicles located there meet the criteria of abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative. The property owner may be asked to remove, conceal, or make operative each vehicle found to be in violation per code. Cooperation in resolving these matters is always the desired course of action.

Who do I contact to report abandoned vehicles on public roads?

The County participates in the Abandoned Vehicle Abatement Program funded by the Abandoned Vehicle Trust Fund. This fund provides for a program of Vehicle Abatement from public roads according to the California Vehicle Code and local ordinance.  To report abandoned or wrecked vehicles on public roads please call the Abandoned Vehicle Hotline at (530) 470-2750 or click here to complete an Abandoned Vehicle Abatement form.

Who enforces trash collection and containers out for collection?

Complaints related to trash collection can be reported to the Department of Public Works. More information can be found at Solid Waste | Nevada County, CA ( Please contact the Department of Public works by phone at 530-265-1411 or by Email