Why Was a Child Support Case Opened?

Cases can be opened either voluntarily or involuntarily. A parent or guardian can request our services voluntarily. If a child receives cash assistance with a parent or guardian, a case is opened whether or not the parent or guardian requests the case be opened.

When a child receives cash assistance, we are obligated to obtain a child support order against the parent who is not residing with the child. Even if the child lives with a parent half of the time, a case will still open if the child is receiving cash assistance with the other parent or guardian.

The parent who is required to pay child support may also open a case to receive assistance in modifying an order or to maintain an accurate accounting of all payments made.